Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Scout Camp!





This past week I spent the week down at scout camp. It was held at Camp Naish, which is close to Bonner Springs, KS. I was there the whole time with 10 scouts. It was a good time, at times very challenging, but none the less a good and productive week. The weather was perfect! I do not think it got above 90 degrees the whole time we were there. Several of the nights I needed to wear a sweatshirt to stay warm while I slept. The boys completed 58 merit badges and there were 6 rank advancements. Not too shabby for a weeks worth of work.

It is funny, I catch myself doing the same things that my dad did and said when he was our scout camp leader. Here are a few examples:

1. Each morning I would wake the boys up by opening the flaps to their tents and yelling "Welcome to the Today Show...with special guest...." then I would say one of the boys names that was in the tent. That was the morning ritual. I am not too sure how the boys liked it, but I got a good kick out of it.

2. Each morning we needed to wear our scout shirts for the flag raising. The scout would reluctantly put their shirts on. I would ask them if they needed help either tucking in or buttoning their shirts. Of course I would never help them tuck in their shirt, but the threat worked pretty good. One boy took me up on buttoning his shirt so I took the bottom button and put it into the top hole and so on. Needless to say they all caught on pretty quick.

Don't they look good for the flag raising?

I had a great time with the boys; we had some great laughs. I look forward to next year. I am glad that it is 12 months away, so I have a little time to recover.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeanette said...

Sounds like you had a good time. What a good sport you are for going and making it fun for the boys, plus crossing off a ton of merit badges. Way to go! It made me laugh what you said about copying your father. Isn't that funny how we start to do funny things our parents did when we were kids. I catch myself doing it all the time. The crazy thing is that I usually hated it when she did it, but now it makes since and is actually a really good idea. Ah, the power of age and understanding. Looks like you had a good time.

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home