New House!!!
I know it has been a long time since we have updated our Blog. We do have a good excuse, we have been busy with working on our new house. That's right Mari and I purchased our first home on September 15. It was an exciting and scary experience. I don't think I have signed so many pieces of paper at one time in my life. Some of our friends did not have a very good first time home purchase, but ours was great. Our realtor, Mark Spreaker (just a little advertising for him), was awesome. He was so patient and never pushed us. We looked at about 70 or 80 houses before we found this one. We put offers in on three others, but I am so glad that we didn't get them. Our home was a banked owned property, which means that the prior owners foreclosed on the home. The house needed a little work; carpet, paint, a good cleaning, re-caulking, new sink in the master, and lots of other little things.
We closed on Tuesday and I spent that afternoon and that evening screwing down the floor to help prevent squeaks when you walked on it. I also finished pulling up all the staples in the floor from the previous pad to get it ready for when our carpet would be installed. On Wednesday I vacuumed the floor with our new shop vacuum that Dad got for me from a family that he was doing some work for. I then primed the floor to prevent and pet orders from coming up through the carpet after it is installed. That night we had several people from our ward come and help us paint. Without their help there was no way that I could have gotten as much done as I did. We painted the living room, dining room, entry, hallway (going up and down), the master bedroom, and the kids bedroom over the next two days. I am so grateful for all those that helped us. Also that night Dad and a plumber friend of his came over and installed our new hot water heater. On Thursday night I started stripping out the caulk in the kids bathroom. It turned out to be a much bigger task that what I originally thought. I spent most of the day on Friday chiseling out the caulk and then re-caulking the tub. After the tile and tub was cleaned it looks really good. The carpet was installed on Friday. We had about 194 yards of carpet. A good friend of mine, Steve Hirschi (another free advertisement) from our ward sells flooring and he helped us pick out a great carpet and pad for our house. It looks great.
After all of those long days and nights, we moved out of our apartment that Saturday. As with the painting we had some good friends come and help us load up the truck. It went really fast. We had the truck loaded in about an hour and had it unloaded in about 45 minutes. It was really awesome.
Over the past two weeks we have done some major cleaning, removed the wallpaper in the kids bathroom and the half bath downstairs, painted those rooms, moved the fish tank from my parents house, hung pictures, put a deadbolt on our front door, and fixed the garage doors.
I want to give a special thanks to my dad who spent a lot of his evenings helping me with things on the house. He was very patient with me with all of my questions and constantly surprised me with his many skills, knowledge, and generosity. I can't express how much Mari and I appreciate all that he has done. Dad, we appreciate all of your hard work.
Here are a few before pictures and some after shots. Enjoy!!!
Before








After










We closed on Tuesday and I spent that afternoon and that evening screwing down the floor to help prevent squeaks when you walked on it. I also finished pulling up all the staples in the floor from the previous pad to get it ready for when our carpet would be installed. On Wednesday I vacuumed the floor with our new shop vacuum that Dad got for me from a family that he was doing some work for. I then primed the floor to prevent and pet orders from coming up through the carpet after it is installed. That night we had several people from our ward come and help us paint. Without their help there was no way that I could have gotten as much done as I did. We painted the living room, dining room, entry, hallway (going up and down), the master bedroom, and the kids bedroom over the next two days. I am so grateful for all those that helped us. Also that night Dad and a plumber friend of his came over and installed our new hot water heater. On Thursday night I started stripping out the caulk in the kids bathroom. It turned out to be a much bigger task that what I originally thought. I spent most of the day on Friday chiseling out the caulk and then re-caulking the tub. After the tile and tub was cleaned it looks really good. The carpet was installed on Friday. We had about 194 yards of carpet. A good friend of mine, Steve Hirschi (another free advertisement) from our ward sells flooring and he helped us pick out a great carpet and pad for our house. It looks great.
After all of those long days and nights, we moved out of our apartment that Saturday. As with the painting we had some good friends come and help us load up the truck. It went really fast. We had the truck loaded in about an hour and had it unloaded in about 45 minutes. It was really awesome.
Over the past two weeks we have done some major cleaning, removed the wallpaper in the kids bathroom and the half bath downstairs, painted those rooms, moved the fish tank from my parents house, hung pictures, put a deadbolt on our front door, and fixed the garage doors.
I want to give a special thanks to my dad who spent a lot of his evenings helping me with things on the house. He was very patient with me with all of my questions and constantly surprised me with his many skills, knowledge, and generosity. I can't express how much Mari and I appreciate all that he has done. Dad, we appreciate all of your hard work.
Here are a few before pictures and some after shots. Enjoy!!!
Before








After














8 Comments:
Nice! You'll be glad to have a garage to park in this winter (but wait until you see the heating bills!).
Mari...we are so happy for you guys!!! That is so great. You desire it so much. We need to talk. I will give you a call.
Love ya,
Jen
The house looks great. You did a great job on your improvements. It's amazing how much time they can take, but what a difference! Can't wait to see it at Christmas.
Congratulations, again! We are so excited for you and can't wait to see it in real life! Looks like you guys have done a great job on your home improvements already!
It looks great! All you need is some art on your walls:).
Mari!
What a BEAUTIFUL new home! Although we miss ya'll so much, we are really happy for you.
You have worked really hard getting your home ready. Wow! I'm so impressed. It looks great!
CONGRATULTIONS!
That's pretty awesome, but I'm a little disappointed that the pictures aren't true to life. We all know that there are toys, books, kids shoes, blankets, stuffed animals, little pieces of cookie and other weird crap lying around from the kids. Still though, that's a great feeling having a place of your own and I happy for you guys.
Now, do you think those friends of yours will help paint my house?
Congrats on the new house, it looks great!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home